Postdoctoral Fellowships System
The Postdoctoral Fellowships (PDF) system provides help up to a core of the very promising scientists at a crucial amount of time in their professions. The fellowships may also be meant to secure a method of getting very qualified Canadians with leading-edge scientific and research abilities for Canadian industry, federal federal federal government and organizations.
Are you qualified to receive a PDF?
To be looked at qualified to receive support, at the time of the deadline date associated with in which latin mail order bride you apply, you must year:
- be described as A canadian resident or a permanent resident of Canada;
- hold or expect to carry a doctorate in just one of the areas of research that NSERC supports.
- It is possible to use only one time into the PDF program.
- You may possibly submit just one application per 12 months to 1 granting agency (NSERC, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research CIHR or even the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council SSHRC). You mustn’t have previously received an award that is postdoctoralincluding a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship) from SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR.
- you need to have finished all needs of one’s degree that is doctoral no than 2 yrs prior to the deadline date of the season by which you use.
Note: This isn’t the conferred or convocation date suggested on your own transcript, but rather the date on which all of the needs of the level had been met, like the defence that is successful distribution for the corrected copy of the thesis. The completion date of your most recent doctoral degree will be used to determine your eligibility for applicants with more than one doctoral degree.
- After you received your doctorate, NSERC will extend the eligibility period to three years if you have acquired at least six months of full-time relevant employment in industry or government (experience in an institution or its affiliated hospitals, research institutions and other laboratories will not be considered.
- If, within couple of years after the date of conclusion of the PhD, you’d your career somewhat interrupted as a result of disease or family that is health-related, NSERC will extend this eligibility duration to three years.
- After you received your doctorate, NSERC will extend the eligibility period to three years if you have completed a non-research based clinical residency program.
- If, within 2 yrs following date of completion of the PhD, you’d your job somewhat interrupted because of parental, medical and/or responsibilities that are family-related NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to 3 years.
- If, within couple of years before or following the date of conclusion of the PhD, you then become the caregiver that is primary the delivery or use of a young child, NSERC will expand the eligibility period to six years.
- Then you may be asked by NSERC to provide additional information and/or supporting documentation if you are subject to an extended eligibility period. Any such distribution to NSERC is only going to be utilised by staff to evaluate your eligibility to your system. Should you want to notify the review committee of delays and/or circumstances which will have impacted your performance and/or efficiency, then you can achieve this into the Special Circumstances area of the applying.
Where are you able to hold your fellowship?
It is possible to hold your PDF at:
- Canadian organizations
- provincial research organizations in Canada
- other appropriate research laboratories in Canada
- organizations and research organizations abroad
You can’t hold a PDF in Canadian federal federal federal government laboratories or in commercial laboratories across Canada.
NSERC encourages you to definitely undertake research that requires collaboration with other Canadian businesses. The type regarding the proposed collaboration must be appropriate to your host organization.
- You might hold a PDF abroad only when you have got gotten your doctorate from a institution that is canadian.
- NSERC encourages PDF award holders to broaden their research experience by gaining experience of research that is different. You aren’t allowed to keep your fellowship in the exact same institution (or its affiliated hospitals, research organizations along with other laboratories) where you received your doctorate. But, you may request an exclusion that’ll be considered by the selection committee. The demand needs to be centered on medical reasons (for instance, proximity to needed health care facilities), household reasons (as an example, a partner’s job) or systematic reasons (as an example, accessibility to specialized gear), which can make it very difficult for you really to leave a specific organization. Even when your exception is issued, you aren’t allowed to be monitored by the PhD supervisor. You might be encouraged to incorporate a alternative location for your PDF in case your ask for an exclusion is certainly not authorized.
- You may perhaps maybe perhaps not support the PDF along with your PhD supervisor, regardless if your manager changes research organizations.
- Holding a PDF abroad may impact your residency status in Canada. You may need to contact the appropriate Canadian authorities or an expert that is appropriate advice.
How will you use?
You can easily make an application for a PDF by doing and Form that is submitting 201 connecting supporting documents if required. See the directions on the best way to finish Form 201.
Application due date
NSERC must get the job electronically prior to 8:00 p.m. (ET) on October 17. Incomplete applications will likely to be rejected.
Except for individual email address, NSERC will maybe not accept any noticeable modifications or updates to the application after it’s been submitted. Personal contact information may be updated by delivering a contact to email@example.com.
Review procedures and selection requirements
NSERC scholarships and fellowships selection committees review all PDF applications. The choice committees evaluate each application based on the selection requirements described into the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships products. Observe that NSERC may increase equity and diversity among qualified candidates by providing priority that is award meritorious candidates whom self-identify as Indigenous and/or as a lady, if enough funds become available. The choice committees are arranged in line with the after discipline that is broad:
- Civil and engineering that is industrial
- Chemical, biomedical and materials science engineering
- Mechanical engineering
- Electric engineering
- Computing sciences
- Mathematical sciences
- Physics and astronomy
- World sciences
- Development and ecology
- Cellular and biology that is molecular
- Animal and plant biology
The research topic rule (see a number of Research topic Codes for Scholarships and Fellowships) joined regarding the application will figure out the choice committee when the application would be examined. NSERC may designate the program to a various committee if it determines that the niche matter is more suitable for another committee.
NSERC expects selection committee users to consistently guard from the potential for unconscious bias affecting the decision-making procedure, whether these biases depend on a way of thinking, fundamental versus used research, specific sub-disciplines, regions of research or approaches (including growing people), size or trustworthiness of an organization, age, gender and/or other individual factors for the applicant.
NSERC is performing on evidence that equity, variety and addition bolster the clinical and engineering communities as well as the quality, social relevance and effect of research. Candidates should make reference to concerns 5 to 7 when you look at the Guide for Candidates: Considering equity, variety and addition in the job to learn more.
A of the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships Programs which provides useful information on what committee members look for in assessing applications in preparing their application, applicants should consult the Selection criteria and indicators section and Appendix. Candidates also needs to read the Instructions for doing an application – Form 201.
Candidates are assessed and chosen based on:
- Analysis capability and potential(70%)
- Communication, social and leadership abilities (30%)
Notification of choice
January NSERC will notify all applicants of the results by the end of. NSERC will likely not offer results by phone.
NSERC will publish the names (along with other basic award information) of fellowship recipients on its web site. To learn more, start to see the usage of Ideas Act plus the Privacy Act.
Conditions regarding the prize
Relate to the Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder’s Guide for policies and demands about keeping the honor, such as for instance acceptance, begin date, deferment, paid leave that is parental holding the prize for a part-time foundation, etc.